Table of Contents
Why is My Knee Swollen?
A swollen knee is a medical condition that usually occurs when fluid collects within or around the knee area. A swollen knee is also termed “water on the knee” or “knee effusion.” Several reasons can result in Swollen Knees, such as overuse injuries, the result of trauma, or any underlying medical condition or disease.
The common symptoms that show or confirm that you have a swollen knee are: puffiness or swelling around the area or in the knee, having trouble straightening your knee or legs- you might feel stiffness there or unusual or severe pain in the knee or area around it.
What Causes Swollen Legs From The Knee Down?
Several reasons cause swollen legs from the knee down. Some of the causes of swollen legs are:
- Fluid builds up or collects around or in the knee. Some of the factors that are related to fluid build-up are:
- Acute kidney failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- consumption of painkillers, such as ibuprofen, etc
- problem issues with heart muscle
- Being overweight
- Being inactive for a longer period, such as: standing or sitting for a longer period
- Wearing fitted or tight jeans or leggings
It can also be caused when the tissues in your legs get swollen or irritated
Swollen Knee symptom picture
How To Treat A Swollen Knee? How Do You Elevate A Swollen Knee?
There are various easy and quick remedies to treat a swollen knee:
- Resting is one of the best and easiest ways to treat a Swollen Knee. Avoid your activities for a few days-it may help the Knee heal faster.
- Icing the knee is one of the best treatments. Apply ice on the swollen knee for 15-20 mins to help decrease inflammation and blood flow.
- Avoid exercises until your knee gets better- especially those exercises which include; weight-bearing or stretching.
- Using a sleeve or compression bandage can help in reducing the swelling.
- Take anti-inflammatory medication.
- Do gentle exercises. Consult a physiotherapist as he will recommend some gentle exercises as per your knee condition.
- You can also massage the knee to drain excess fluid from the knee area. Again, you can do it on your or hire a massage therapist.
Elevating a Swollen Knee is a really important concern, and one with this problem should know that. So, while sitting, use standard cushions or pillows to elevate the knee-but using a special leg elevation pillow is the best option. While resting or lying down, make sure that the swollen knee lies above the level of your heart-this knee elevation method helps drain the excess fluid from the joint and also helps in reducing the blood flow, as both help reduce the swelling on the knee.
What Is The Best Knee Brace For A Swollen Knee?
A knee brace is a tool that helps reduce the knee’s discomfort and supports the knee. It helps decrease the pain of your knee as it shifts the pain from the swollen area of your knee. In addition, wearing a knee brace can help in improving the ability to move and walk around more easily.
A huge range of knee braces will help you with the Swollen Knee, such as compression neoprene knee, knee sleeves, arch support, knee straps, and the kinetic, tape-easily available in the pharmacies.
WorldBrace manufactures high-quality knee braces. We have a wide range of knee braces for all knee problems, including a Copper Knee Brace, a knee brace for running, a neoprene knee brace, a padded knee brace, and the best knee brace for meniscus tear, etc. We also deal in custom-made knee braces. With over 20 years of experience in manufacturing the best knee brace, we take pride in providing the best product-so for high-quality knee braces, do order from us.
Swollen Knee Strategy
No, Swollen Knee could only be dangerous under some conditions; otherwise, it can easily be treated at home by following remedies. However, it can be serious if the pain in your knee becomes unbearable or if it is persistently swollen, or if there are some serious symptoms.
Trying different positions will help to sleep well with a Swollen Knee. For example, you can also place a pillow between your knees if you sleep on that side. It is also prescribed by doctors to take a warm bath before sleeping as it will help in sleeping with less pain.